There I was… A business consultant of 17 years, working with leaders and executives of start-ups to Fortune 500 companies.
I had it all— the family, the house, the cars, the businesses, the cool friends…
And yet, some discontent was creeping in.
I started to feel the stirrings of my soul.
At first, I ignored it. That didn’t go well.
- Opportunities started to dry up.
- The techniques I employed flawlessly with the Law of Attraction stopped working as well.
- I tried hard to fix things by investing money & energy into finding solutions.
Even though I had all the things, I wasn’t truly happy.
What I needed was a change. But how? I had this huge resume of achievements — I definitely didn’t need to achieve more or do more.
I was constantly in fight-or-flight mode. I felt pulled in multiple directions. My nervous system took a beating. Hyper-vigilant thoughts kept me up at night. I felt chained to my business. I felt burdened by others’ expectations and projections. And I was attracting clients who were just as stressed and unhappy as I was. Not good.
I just wanted to take a vacation totally unplugged for once!
I hired so many coaches to help me discover “what’s next?” and escape the self-made trap I was in.
At the same time, I was secretly pursuing passions and expanding my intuitive gifts. I came alive when doing that!
I kept ignoring the nudges from the Universe to integrate my feminine side into my business consulting. Instead, I did it in “acceptable” ways by helping clients create authentic, heart-felt content and campaigns.
But the Universe let me know I hadn’t gone far enough… Eventually, my bridges were burned down. I could no longer return to the warmth and security of the business I had known.
As the external world around me continued to crumble, my internal world was also crumbling. I found myself in a “dark night of the soul,” experiencing little deaths of my beliefs, values and identity.
I took a look at my identity:
- The person others perceived me to be, and who I (actually) am.
- The person I was conditioned to be in my childhood, and who I (actually) am.
- The person I was at business meetings, and who I (actually) am.
I took a look at my beliefs & values:
- The ones I learned from my parents and grandparents.
- The ones I learned from the high demand religion I was raised in.
- The ones I had about myself, which were projected upon me by others.
I took a look at how I had given my power away:
- To masterminds, business experts and clients.
- To religious leaders and spiritual teachers.
- To the façade I maintained to the outside world.
I called my power back.
I recalibrated who I am, what I value, and what I believe.
I was tired of living a lie.
This is what Debbie Ford referred to as “Shadow Work.” Most people think that this is just looking at the parts of ourselves that are uncomfortable or ugly… But what Shadow Work ACTUALLY IS uncovering the BRIGHT parts of ourselves that have been rejected by others and ourselves. It’s about uncovering the buried gold treasure within!
In the process, I discovered my True Soul Essence and Purpose.
Then came the next test, would I actually make the changes to align to them?
Well, of course I did.
It took some bold action and courage to leave my previous career and identity and realize that I’m more than a label or a job title.
Interestingly, the essence of what I do for people didn’t really change…
I STILL help people save time, money and energy through strategies that help them win at the game of life and business.
- But rather than helping through my secret sauce of marketing campaigns, I help organizations learn the secret sauce I was using all along: The Empathy Equation and the Power of Intuition, so they can unlock the hidden drivers of financial growth, employee performance and customer loyalty.
- I also offer private 1:1 coaching for executives and leaders to help them clear inner blocks to get to their next level.
And in this whole process of reinventing myself, I came up with a Roadmap of the Coming S.H.I.F.T. for Visionary Leaders” to help others navigate through their own Reinvention story — and much more quickly and gracefully with this Roadmap.
About the Author, Christie Turley
Christie Turley’s superpower is to uncover people’s untapped talent and limiting biases, so that leaders and their teams can deliver meaningful impact, higher profits and happier employees and customers.
Earlier in her career, she grew two international start-ups by more than $30 Million total, earning a placement in the INC 500. She also worked with several Fortune 500 brands and ran her own branding & marketing agency for 17 years before exiting to start her training and consulting company, Lighten Up Leadership.
More than two decades later, Christie Turley is a business consultant, a performance coach to high achievers and a trainer in self-compassion and emotional release modalities. As an author and inspirational speaker, she has shared the stage with many New York Timesbestselling authors. She lives in the US Rocky Mountains with her husband and their two daughters.